|This article is about the 2019 Version of Episode. You may be looking for 2001 Version of Episode.|
|I've Been Fooling Myself|
|Rōmaji||Kanchigai o shite imashita|
|Air Date|| May 3, 2019 (JP)|
May 3, 2019 (US)
|Director|| Takashi Igari (JP)|
Caitlin Glass (US)
|Script||Bonny Clinkenbeard, Jeramey Kraatz (US)|
|Animation Director|| Yukiko Ban (Chief)|
|← What Year Is She?||Perhaps We Should Invite Ourselves Over →|
I've Been Fooling Myself (勘違いをしていました, Kanchigai o shite imashita) is the fifth episode of the first season of the Fruits Basket 2019 Anime.
Tohru has come to think of the Sohmas as her new family, but her faith in herself and in her relationships is shaken when her biological family says they're ready to take her back.
- The episode title is taken from one of Tohru's lines in the episode.
Anime and Manga Differences
- The beginning of the episode with Tohru cooking at the Sohma house and reflecting on a time with her mother, who explains to her that it's okay to be selfish is anime-only.
- When Shigure remarks on the gloomy atmosphere with Tohru leaving, the anime doesn't show him smoking a cigarette.
- When Tohru arrives at her grandfather's house, the younger female relative was not at the front entrance to greet her. Also unlike in the anime, the construction work on the house was complete in the manga.
- While shown to be outside in the anime, Yuki is still inside Shigure's house as the elder Sohma commented about Tohru's departure.
- Due to chapter 8's events being adapted early in episode 3, Kyo reflecting on Tohru's metaphor on riceballs and Kyo's character was added to the flashbacks where he reflected on her presence at the house.
- The extended scene showing Kyo and Yuki trying to find Tohru's grandfather's house and observing the altercation she had with her relatives is an anime-only addition.
- The scene with Tohru's relatives being dumbfounded over the events that took place with Tohru and the Sohma boys is anime-only.