|This article is a stub. Please help Fruits Basket Wiki by expanding it, adding pictures, and improving existing text.|
|Also known as|| Ri-chan|
|Height||174.3 cm / 5'9"|
|Weight||59 kg / 130.1 lbs|
|Hair Color|| Peach (Manga)|
Light Brown (2001 & 2019 anime)
|Eye Color|| Brown (Manga & 2001 anime)|
Green (2019 anime)
|Parents|| Unnamed Father|
Okami Sohma (Mother)
|Extended Family||Unnamed Maternal Uncle|
|Anime|| Episode 23 (2001)|
Episode 19 (2019)
|Japanese|| Miina Tominaga (2001)|
Kengo Kawanishi (2019)
|English|| Mike McFarland|
Sarah Hussey (Young, 2001)
Katelyn Barr (Young, 2019)
Ritsu Sohma (草摩 利津, Sōma Ritsu, "Ritsu Soma"), also known by his nickname Ri-chan, is a minor of the Fruits Basket series. He is the only child of the hostess of the Sohma Family's onsen, Okami Sohma, whose position he is in training to take over.
He is the Monkey of the Chinese Zodiac. He is extremely apologetic, has very low self-esteem and a tendency to overreact. To ease his nerves, he dresses in women's clothing because he says he then feels less pressure from society, and is initially mistaken for a woman by Tohru Honda because of his long hair and beauty.
Because of his anxiety, Ritsu dresses as a woman, as cross-dressing helps him calm his nerves. He has long straight honey-brown hair, large brown eyes and is almost always seen in a kimono. Tohru innocently mistakes him for a woman the first time they meet because of his feminine looks. He cuts his hair short in the final volume and slowly starts to dress like a male.
He is depicted as a beautiful but unstable young man with very low self-esteem and a tendency to overreact to everything. He apologizes frantically for everything, even for things that are not his fault. As Momiji said, he may act hysterically if he panics, but has a kind heart.
During his childhood, his parents apologized for everything, even if it wasn't their fault, just like Ritsu. Feeling useless to his parents, he decided to dress like a girl to feel more comfortable at home and around them, but that just made them apologize even more. The parents suffer from anxiety, and because of family genetics, Ritsu has inherited it from his parents.
Before Summer Vacation Arc
After Summer Vacation Arc
Breaking of the curse
When Ritsu's curse broke (the spirit of the monkey left him), he dropped a plate, or vase, containing water and flowers. His mother was alarmed as he started crying.
Ritsu tells Kagura, while giving her one of his women's kimonos, that he has asked Mitsuru on a date (in at least one English version, Ritsu almost tears a kimono in half after Kagura asks if he'll marry Mitsuru).
It's not stated clearly what Ritsu did later in life, but it's said that he went to learn from his mother on how to take over her onsen.
The Monkey of the Zodiac
Ritsu is the year of the Monkey. Being cursed by the monkey spirit, Ritsu is blessed with an extremely agile body, able to climb to high grounds easily. He is also blessed with fast reflexes, and was able to react quickly enough to stop himself from falling off of the roof of Shigure's house.
- In an author's note, Takaya said that she regretted how little of a role Ritsu played in the main story. Appearing a total of five times, once in his introduction, a brief appearance at new year's, when his curse is broken, talking to Kagura Sohma about Shigure quitting his job as an author (which he heard from Mitsuru) and finally at the final Zodiac Banquet.
- Most Sohmas call him "Ri-chan" and, to Shigure's amusement, Tohru calls him "Ri-chan-san" (see Japanese honorifics).
- Natsuki Takaya derived his name from the eighth month, odakaritsuki or "rice harvest month", which is the month of the monkey, of the traditional Japanese calendar.
- Ritsu is one of the two Zodiac members that Akito could not stand, the other being Ayame. It could probably explain why they do not live in the Main House.
- In 2001 Version of Anime, when Ritsu gets hysterical, Shigure states pushing his side is an effective method to calm him down.