|This article is a stub. Please help Fruits Basket Wiki by expanding it, adding pictures, and improving existing text.|
This page contains major plot spoilers related to the Fruits Basket manga, not yet revealed in the anime. Read at your own risk!
|Also known as||Gure-san (by Ayame)|
Gure-nii (by Rin)
Shii-chan (by Momiji and Kagura)
Sensei (by Hatsuharu and Mitsuru)
Noa Kiritani (Pen name)
|Age||26 (Beginning of the series)|
28 (End of the series)
|Height||178 cm / 5'10"|
|Weight||68.5 kg / 151 lbs|
|Hair Color||Grey (Manga and 2019 Anime)|
Black (2001 Anime)
|Eye Color||Grey (Manga and 2019 Anime)|
Brown (2001 Anime)
Assistant of the Head of the Sohma Family
|Spouse||Akito Sohma (Wife)|
|Children||Shiki Sohma (Son)|
|Extended Family||Akira Sohma (Father-in-law) |
Ren Sohma (Mother-in-law)
|Anime||Episode 1 (2001)|
Episode 1 (2019)
|Japanese||Ryōtarō Okiayu (2001)|
Yuichi Nakamura (2019)
Mari Hino (Young, 2019)
Apphia Yu (Young)
|“||I am not worth any special mention. I have no power, and little merit. I'm worthless, the worst kind of man.||”|
He is the Dog of the Chinese Zodiac and one of the oldest members of the Cursed Sohmas. He is best friends with Ayame Sohma and Hatori Sohma, and the three make up the "Mabudachi Trio". He is also the owner of the house where he, Tohru Honda, Yuki Sohma, and Kyo Sohma live. He is a writer who publishes literary novels under his own name and trashy romances under pen names.
While Shigure is depicted as lazy and dirty-minded, he can be extremely sly and manipulative. Having been in love with Akito Sohma ever since she was in the womb, Shigure has stated that he is willing to sacrifice anything or dirty his hands to get what he wants. His main motivation is to break the Sohma Curse so he can free Akito; the God, from the curse and the need to live as a man, so he can have her all to himself.
- 1 Appearance
- 2 Personality
- 3 History
- 4 Story Overview
- 5 Appellation
- 6 Differences from the source material
- 7 The Dog of the Zodiac
- 8 Trivia
- 9 References
- 10 Navigation
Shigure is an adult man with a rather large build and tall stature, who is noted to be very handsome by the people around him. He has nape-length, straight, medium-grey hair with an “M-shaped”, middle-parted bang, and longer locks hanging around his face, framing his eyebrows. He also has a pair of light-grey eyes, in which he occasionally wears oval-shaped glasses on top of.
Shigure is fond of wearing traditional Japanese clothing and does so habitually, as he claims that it gives him the vibes to write. He is often seen in his long-sleeved dark green kimono with a light-green obi. When he has to leave home for business, Shigure wears dark-colored, tight suits, and slicks back his hair.
In the flashbacks from Another, Shigure seems to have grown out of his habit of dressing in traditional clothing; seemingly have adopted a modern casual dress sense.
In his initial appearance, Shigure seems like a perverted, laid-back character. As the story goes on, he begins to seem more sinister. However, he has a good heart deep down inside.
Shigure can be quite insightful and gives advice to Yuki, Kyo and Tohru if needed. On the surface he's playful, aloof, and mildly perverted; however, he can be quite cunning, manipulative, and deceptive. This dark side of himself is explained in part because of his loyalty to Akito and also because of his desire to see the curse broken. He’s willing to use and hurt others to achieve his goals, including Tohru. He admits to feeling guilty about using Tohru, as he has grown fond of her. He’s aware that his actions will anger his friends deeply but is willing to take the risk, or “lose a tooth” as he thinks the ends justify the means.
What he does, however, is not born out of malice or selfishness, rather he wants the Sohma family to finally achieve happiness. Since Shigure knows how complex the situation is he sometimes has to act cruelly to achieve his subversive plot.
As a writer of both romance novels and academic books, Shigure loves to drive his editor, Mitsuru, insane by not giving his editor the pages on time and constantly goes off-topic when his editor questions him about his work being finished or not.
His most famous and well-celebrated pen name is Kiritani Noa (western order, Noa Kiritani), which he usually uses for his romance novels, such as 'Sigh of a Summer Affair', which he showed to Saki Hanajima, Arisa Uotani and Kyo Sohma. They give very different reactions, Hanajima asks if a sequel will be coming out, while Uotani says it is unacceptable to write that 'smut' and Kyo comments that it's sick. Tohru thinks it's amazing that she knows an author.
Shigure's best friends are Hatori Sohma and Ayame Sohma. This trio have been friends since their childhood. Together their nickname is the Mabudachi Trio (the Three Musketeers in the English dubbed anime). While it is obvious how Ayame and Shigure get along well, it's less certain how Hatori, who is always exasperated with them, became their friend.
On the day of Ren Sohma became pregnant with Akito, Shigure had a dream where a still transparent Akito appeared and told him that they would be able to meet soon, whereupon he began crying. Shigure, along with Kureno, Hatori, Ayame crowded around Ren and reached out to her womb, knowing that "God" was inside there. Ever since then, Shigure has been in love with Akito. And after Akito was born and it was decided that she was to be raised as a boy, the four boys were told to keep it a secret. Shigure correctly deduced that Ren was jealous over the fact that Akito would be stealing every male’s attention.
As he continued growing up, his feelings towards Akito deepened. One day, Akito walked up to Shigure and asked him if he loved her. Shigure fetched a camellia from the garden and gave it to Akito, and confessed that she is always on his mind and that he loves her more than anyone else— that being the “unshakeable truth”. This left a deep impression on both of them. After this, Shigure would regularly stay by Akito’s side; witnessing Kyo’s true form alongside her, and holding her in his arms when she was sad.
Shigure grew up alongside Hatori and Ayame, and the three attended elementary, middle- and high school together. During their high school years, Shigure was not apart of the student council, but did serve as a support for Hatori and Ayame who were. The three of them were known as the "Mabudachi Trio".
At some point, Shigure found out that Akito had begun a sexual relationship with Kureno. He became incredibly jealous of this and proceeded to have sex with Ren as a form of revenge. This made Akito even more infuriated, and she thus banished Shigure from the Sohma estate as a punishment. Shigure had since been living in his house alone, financing the living expenses partly from the money he gets from the main house. After a while, Hatsuharu Sohma begged Shigure to save Yuki Sohma and let the latter live with him. Shigure joked that he would do so if Haru began calling him “Sensei”, which the boy faithfully did. As so, Shigure invited Yuki to live with him and the two had been living together since.
First Year Arc
Second Year Arc
Third Year Arc
In his very last apparition, Shigure is seen with Akito on a date, where he asks her if she isn’t going to see Tohru and Kyo off, to which she replies that she won’t. However, Akito explains that she can always visit Tohru anytime, either way. Akito tells Shigure he can go if he wants to, but he responds by saying that she is a “crafty girl”, and they lovingly continue on their date. Despite the initial complex relationship Shigure shares with Tohru, he reminisces on the memories he had shared with her over the past three years.
He is seen in a flashback. 
He is mentioned by Shiki.
|Image||Name||What they call Shigure||What Shigure calls them|
|Image||Name||What they call Shigure||What Shigure calls them|
|Image||Name||What they call Shigure||What Shigure calls them|
|Kisa Sohma||Shigure oji-san||Satcchan|
|Ritsu Sohma||Shigure nii-san||Rit-chan|
|Kureno Sohma||Shigure nii-san||Kureno|
Differences from the source material
- Shigure’s appearance differs between the manga and the anime adaptions:
- The 2001 anime depicts Shigure with black hair and brown eyes. The manga and 2019 anime show Shigure having grey-colored hair and eyes.
- In the 2001 anime, Shigure’s overall personality is much more lighthearted and comedic.
- He is perverted, funny, and lazy, and does not show much depth to his inner conflicts. The darker and more manipulative aspects of his personality are fundamentally absent.
- Since he has a different relationship with Akito in the 2001 anime than he does in the manga and 2019 anime, Shigure becomes much more cheery and genuine, truly caring for Tohru as if she were his own daughter, and not being afraid to twice stand against Akito to protect her.
- Shigure’s actions and some events in the true form arc differ greatly between the manga and the 2001 anime:
- Akito appears and taunts Tohru about the knowledge of the Sohma family secret, but only leaves when Shigure locates the two. He apologizes for her finding out the truth about Kyo, and while begging and crying, pleads for Tohru to save Kyo.
- Since the 2001 anime didn't cover the entire manga and since the manga was still ongoing while it still aired, there are notable differences in the ending:
- Tohru asks Shigure permission to speak with Akito, and Yuki, Shigure, and Hatori accompany Tohru to the Sohma main residence to see Akito. After an initially meek exchange, Akito seizes her by her hair in a rage after Tohru is unable to say why she came, but Yuki and Shigure restrain him from hurting her further.
The Dog of the Zodiac
Shigure is cursed by the spirit of the Dog of the Zodiac. Whenever he is hugged by the opposite sex, or if his body goes through a great deal of stress, Shigure transforms into his Chinese Zodiac form; a grey-blackish Dog with light green eyes. Like all the Cursed Sohmas, their respective animals are drawn to them; and in Shigure's case, dogs. The Dog is the eleventh of all zodiac animals.
He has black-colored hair due to sharing similar traits with his animal, the Dog. In Chinese culture, Dogs are honest and loyal, and the truest friends and most reliable partner, which applies to Shigure in some aspects.
Shigure is also open about how he views himself and the curse; he has stated that he is the most cursed for genuinely being in love with Akito as a woman, not as a God. He also says he feels miserable living in a normal world as a “monster”; at the same time, he acknowledges the Cat's role in the bond and has openly mentioned that he, and the other Zodiacs as well, finds solace in Kyo's existence, since they would never have to suffer as much as he does.
When Shigure’s curse broke, he was subconsciously aware of it and described his feelings as finally knowing how it felt like to have the curse broken. Shigure’s curse was the overall twelfth to break.
- According to the official Fruits Basket Character Book:
- Shigure's name, like most members of the Zodiac, is a pun regarding his Zodiac animal; the dog. His name translates into shower of late autumn, whereas the dog's lunar month is October.
- Shigure's name is derived from the tenth month of the Japanese lunar calendar, Shigurezuki, or "Autumn showers month".
- Shigure habitually wears a kimono unless he has to leave home for business, which according to Takaya is his way of getting into “the spirit of things” as a writer.
- Before he became a writer and still lived at the main house, he used to wear rougher clothes like t-shirts and jeans since it suited his idea of that life.
- It also mentioned that “getting into the spirits of things” is another of his games, as if he’s proving that he’s not committed to anything.
- Shigure often offers advice in metaphors, which is mentioned to not be very surprising considering he’s a novelist.
- Because he is hard to read, Hatori says he’s a “jellyfish”, and Mayuko calls him a “ripple”, meaning “he’s a man who can’t be caught”.
- The Sohmas, particularly the members of the Zodiac, believes Shigure to be the closest to Akito.
- Shigure’s relationship with his parents isn’t very good, but he doesn’t seem to have been rejected by his mother.
- He inherited his looks from his mother.
- According to Natsuki Takaya’s Twitter:
- When Takaya was asked if Akito knew about Shigure and Mayu dating each other, she reveals that if Shigure wanted it to remain a secret, then it would be a secret. If he wanted it to be known, then he would make it known. But since “Shigure is not a superman or something”, the secret might still be let slip accidentally.
- Chapter 122 is where reveals his “true self”. Takaya says it’s a perfect example of his true self, since his reaction isn’t over-exaggerated or heavy like it usually is.
- Shigure, and the rest of the Mabudachi Trio all have a high alcohol tolerance. They enjoy it a decent amount.
- Shigure is the first Sohma to appear in both the anime and manga.
- Shigure is fond of creating nicknames for other people; such as "Aaya" for Ayame Sohma, "Haa-san" for Hatori Sohma, "Haa-kun" for Hatsuharu Sohma, "Momicchi" for Momiji Sohma, "Satcchan" for Kisa Sohma, "Hii-kun" for Hiro Sohma, and Mit-chan for Mitsuru.
- Shigure repeatedly uses his favorite phrase "Qué será, será. Whatever will be, will be. What won't happen, won't".
- Shigure constantly sings his made-up song "High School Girls" in the 2001 anime. The song made its first appearance when Arisa and Saki came over to the Sohma's for the first time, also making a second appearance in the episode "Black or White". Here is the song as follows: High school girls! High school girls! One, two, three, high school girls! High school girls! High school girls! All for me, high school girls! It is unknown if the song has any more verses but those two.
- His most successful pen name is Noa Kiritani, which he used for his erotic novel series, Sigh of a Summer Affair. Hatori, Hatsuharu, and Saki Hanajima have read this series.